How To Join
Our Joint Apprenticeship Training Committee ensures you are well prepared for a successful career as a plumber or pipefitter. To apply, each applicant must meet a specific set of program requirements.
Each applicant must meet the qualifications as shown below:
- Be not less than eighteen (18) years of age at the time of employment
- Must complete and return the application form to the address below
- Must submit proof of age by providing a copy of their birth certificate to the address below.
- Must be a high school graduate or pass a G.E.D. or equivalent.
- Must submit high school transcript or G.E.D. scores to the address below.
- Must be physically able to perform the work of the trade.
- Must read the Apprenticeship Standards prior to their interview.
- Must be interviewed at a future date and time to be determined.
- Applicants who meet the above qualifications will be notified by mail when and where to report for their interview and rating session. Applicants failing to appear for their scheduled interview will be disqualified and receive no further consideration from the Committee.
- Each candidate on the list of eligibles that is notified of a job opportunity by the Committee may be required to pass a standard medical exam prior to employment. If the candidate fails the medical exam, the Committee will notify the candidate, via certified mail, that they will be unable to place them in the program.
- (If you are a veteran) submit a copy of the form DD-214 (member 4)
- If you received college credits or had technical school training, please include transcripts.
- Letter(s) of recommendation and a résumé will be accepted.
Applicants who meet the above qualifications will be notified by mail when and where to report for their interview and rating session. Before the interview, applicants must read the Apprenticeship Standards Handbook.
Applicants failing to appear for their scheduled interview will be disqualified, and receive no further consideration from the Committee.
Each candidate on the list of eligibles that is notified of a job opportunity by the Committee may be required to pass a standard medical exam prior to employment. If the candidate fails the medical exam, the Committee will notify the candidate, via certified mail, that they will be unable to place them in the program.
The Application Packet
To apply for an apprenticeship, you must download, complete and return the apprenticeship application per the directions provided below. You must also include the following with your application:
- Birth certificate or some other proof of age.
- High school transcript or G.E.D. scores
- DD-214 form if you are a veteran
- Transcripts if you received college credits or had technical school training
- Letter(s) of recommendation and a resume will be accepted
Send your information to the following address:
Local 11 & 589 JATC
4402 Airpark Blvd
Duluth MN 55811-5712
In order to make application easier, the apprenticeship application is a fillable PDF. This allows you to fill out the form right on your computer before printing, which cuts down on errors and expedites processing. Depending on the browser you are using, you may see different results when you attempt to complete a fillable PDF.
Here are instructions for the most commonly used browsers to ensure the forms work correctly.
Please keep in mind that if you are running an older version of Adobe or your internet browser, you will likely experience compatibility issues. For best results, always update your browser and Adobe when prompted.
Open a new session in Firefox. Click on the “Firefox” menu in the upper right‐hand corner of the window. Under “Options,” select “open options.” In the “Options” menu, click on the “Applications” tab. Then, scroll down to “Portable Document Format (PDF).” If it reads, “Preview in Firefox,” that means that you will need to change the setting in order to complete fillable PDFs.
In the drop-down menu, select “Use Adobe Acrobat (in Firefox).” Then, select OK to close the Options box. Close out of your browser window and reopen Firefox to implement the change.
Open a new session in Chrome. In the address box, type in: chrome://plugins/ and hit “enter.” This will open the plug‐in menu for Chrome.
Once you are in the plug‐in menu, find “Chrome PDF Viewer.” If it is enabled, click the “Disable” link. This will allow you to choose to run Adobe Reader instead. You only need to click “Disable” once.
Once you have disabled the Chrome PDF Viewer, scroll down and locate the Adobe Reader. Click “enable” to activate this plug‐in. If, under Adobe Reader, it says “disable,” then it is already enabled in your browser and no further action is needed.